If you’re here, you know that scalp treatments are important! The way you treat your scalp heavily affects the health of your hair and therefore the look of your hair.
What you might not know is that not all scalp treatments are created equal, nor are all scalp treatments effective for all scalps. The symptoms you’re experiencing will dictate the kind of scalp treatment you need, so we’re gonna dive into the different products you can use for an at-home scalp treatment this month! (And we might have a surprise for you at the end of this blog too…!)
“What Kind of Product do I use?”
Glad you asked!
Different products have different purposes, and surprisingly, very few directly address the scalp. If you’re looking for a great scalp treatment, stay away from mousses, masks, and conditioners that promise big results! These products are truly only meant to be used on the tips and shaft of your hair, and won’t provide the support your scalp needs for its health.
The best scalp treatments come in the form of shampoos
“But what if I have a dry scalp?”
Dry scalp or no, conditioner won’t address the underlying skin problem.
Conditioners are designed to penetrate into the keratin-based shaft with moisture, protect the shaft, and close the pores on the shaft (Yup! Your hair strands have pores!). But if you’re dealing with a dry scalp, you need to open up those pores and gently rub the product in so that it penetrates the affected skin.
Trust us, girl (And dude!), a conditioner won’t solve your problem. But there are different shampoos designed to help with the different kinds of challenges scalps face, so here’s our top 5 at-home scalp treatment products!
Our Top 5 Scalp Treatments that you can do at home!
This powerhouse of a hair bath (shampoo) combats one of the most confusing issues ever: Oily Dandruff! If you’ve got an oily scalp and you’re still dealing with dandruff, it might be time to give this scalp treatment a try.
Why It Works:
This product is composed primarily of biodynamic rosemary, organic thyme, crinipan, and puricomplex.
- Rosemary has antibacterial properties which fight off “bad scalp” bacteria and combat any foul odors that they might be causing.
- Thyme is a natural antiseptic which has proven ideal for naturally fighting dandruff.
- Crinipan is an anti-fungal. Did you know that dandruff is primarily caused by fungus on your scalp? EW! But that’s why Crinipan is so effective at combating dandruff: it attacks Malassezia globosa, which is the fungus responsible for dandruff.
- Puricomplex is a combination of Organic Nettile and Burdock, two plants with extremely high astringent properties for effectively clearing seborrheic (oily, red, scaly) skin.
If you’re struggling with a scalp so dry it’s flaking, your challenge might be a little more complex than you imagine. Moisturizing your scalp won’t effectively treat dry dandruff, because (as we mentioned above) dandruff isn’t primarily caused by dryness. But if you’ve got a dry scalp and you’re dealing with dandruff at the same time, this product was meant for you!
Why It Works:
This product is composed primarily of biodynamic rosemary, organic willow, almeth, and biolin.
- Rosemary (See above)
- Willow’s molecular composition is rich in antioxidants and plant-compounds that deliver anti-inflammatory and antibacterial benefits to the scalp.
- Almeth is a compound derived from Methionine, an amino acid natural to the human body with moisturizing and anti-dandruff properties.
- Biolin is a natural sugar probiotic that counters attacks from dandruff-causing bacteria and fungi by promoting and strengthening the scalp's "good" bacteria.
Not dealing with dandruff, but looking to clear some of the excess oil from your scalp? It might not be as simple as you think! Oily scalps often occur because of dry skin on the scalp that causes the pores on your head to over-produce oil. If you’re looking to balance out an oily scalp, this treatment is for you.
Why It Works:
This product is composed primarily of Biodynamic Sage, Organic Euphrasia Extract, Ethical Teak + Mahogany Wood, and Bugbane Extract.
- Sage essential oil is a part of this product because of its ability to regulate oil glands, and its ancient and long-standing reputation as a purifying plant.
- Euphrasia Extract has natural astringent and anti-inflammatory properties. It eliminates excessive sebum (hair oil!) and calms your scalp down.
- Teak + Mahogany Wood oils are known in Ayurvedic tradition, but are also scientifically proven to contain antibacterial properties. These remove any nasty odors being caused by the excess oil.
- Bugbane is a plant native to the northern hemisphere, and its extract is highly effective in combating hyperactivity in the pores on your head. It inhibits the action of enzymes responsible for hyper-stimulating your oil glands and goes to the core of the issue.
If you struggle with psoriasis or eczema, this product was made for you. An irritated scalp can manifest in an itchy but non-dandruff laden scalp, or a painful scalp. It’s most common in children, but affects a surprising number of adults. If you know this all too well because you deal with it, maybe give this product a try at home.
Why It Works:
This product is composed primarily of Biodynamic Fennel Essential Oil, Helichrysum, Chamomile Extract, and Organic Amaranth Extract.
- Fennel has strong anti-inflamitory properties, so it makes sense that its essential oil would be part of the product designed to calm down your scalp. The great thing about Fennel is that it’s gentle on the scalp while also cleaning deeply.
- Helichrysum is best known as a member of the sunflower plant family, but is less-known for its wonderful calming and protective properties. It’s ideal for calming redness and protecting even the most sensitive skin types from irritation and discomfort.
- Chamomile might be in your cupboard as a tea, but it’s also well known for its medicinal properties in other areas of the body. It’s a great remedy for redness and inflammation of the skin and body.
- Amaranth is typically known as a healthy, gluten-free grain with incredible amounts of nutrients. But it’s also widely considered a sacred plant, known for its synergy of precious oils and minerals that give your hair some much-deserved softness and shine.
Hair loss is most definitely a scalp-related issue! It’s best caught in advance so you can keep what you’ve got, but there is a secret little product that might just help you turn the tide and fight with your scalp instead of against it!
Why It Works:
This product is composed primarily of Buddleja Davidii Plant Stem Cells, Biodynamic Mint Essential Oil, Denisplant, and Organic Horse-Chestnut Extract.
- Buddleja Davidii is a plant that aids in stimulating reproductive cells, and works directly with the source of your hair follicles to recreate and stimulate them.
- Mint might wake you up in the morning, but it also stimulates circulation in your head and promotes nutrient uptake into the hair follicle for stronger, healthier hair.
- Denisplant is a complex derived from legumes that directly acts on dermal papillae to facilitate new hair growth. In less fancy terms, it’s part of a veggie that connects with microscopic bumps on the skin of your scalp to start new hair growing up there.
- Horse-Chestnut’s contain saponine and esculin, which is why its extract is part of this product! Those naturally-occuring chemicals stimulate the hair follicles, while strengthening the hair bulb.
“Cool! But what’s with all the OWay Products?”
Glad you asked! OWay is one of our favorite brands because of their commitment to our core values: organic, cruelty-free, and ethically sourced.
We love working with OWay because their products stand up to the chemical-laden products of their competitors, while sticking to their guns and fighting for safer treatments and better business practices. This means you won’t find anything like Parabens (chemicals that can cause cancer and affect your hormonal health) in their products!
Time For Your Surprise!
You made it to the end of this blog! To celebrate that, we’re covering 10% of any purchase you make on these scalp treatment shampoos this month!
“Any of them?”
Yup! Any of them!
For real! The whole month of March you can grab any of them for 10% off.
We like to say OWay, but yeah! To celebrate scalp health awareness, we’re really knocking 10% off the price of all these products for the month. So you can kick those itchy, oily, dandruff laden symptoms to the curb and get the healthy scalp you deserve.